Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostic & Analysis System > MaxiSys > Difference between ms905 and ms908 besid...
Difference between ms905 and ms908 besides screen size

4632 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: 2015-04-13 03:11:27

•   Level 2   
    (24) points
    Hayzuse
    2015-04-04 18:33:01
     What is the difference between the ms905 and the ms908 besides screen size? I know the ms908p does programing but I don't think I will use it enough to make it worth it for me I just know the 908 is 5-600$ more then the 905 and cost more to keep it updated so if the mini does everything the 908 does I would rather. Save the money and buy a scope to go with it. Thanks I tried to look all over the Internet about this and can't find solid answers. anyone know where the cheapest place to get a legit one? I think I'm going with aeswave since they give you the extra cords and camera with it right now. 

•   Level 6   
    (489) points
    tech54

2015-04-04 21:51:57 (Reply to:Hayzuse)

Ran into same issues as I recently purchased mini thinking since I already had Cardaq Plus wouldn't need another J-Box. As far as dealing with aeswave they aren't the cheapest but very reputable personally dealing with them since the late nineties. The mini will never be able to use their j-box mostly because of software and no RJ-45 connection which they want you to use. The 908 can be upgraded at a cost with the j-box and software for programming but the initial better deal is to purchase the 908P upfront and have the capabilities. When it comesa to programming currently for BMW,Mercedes,land Rover,Ford and use to have GM working strictly off the Autel servers for the files to program like Auto- Logic. Other manufacturers it's a standard j-box that requires subscription,possible software fee but I don't think they're validated yet on most. The savings on the manufacturers that you can use their server is significant especially Mercedes. I'm personally happy with the mini as a comprehensive coverage scan tool in line with my original purchasing thinking. I was going to return it though when I checked the forums and saw some of the capabilities of the 908P but I don't like the cut down operating system and browser along with the spotty wi-fi adaptor. I'm going to wait till the new unit comes out somewhat because of better processor but mostly they changed the operating system to version 4.4. Be fore-warned their support is limited so if you run into issues programming especially off their server I think your pretty much on your own since you didn't pay the manufacturer for subscription. If your comfortable with that scenario and have the experience it's a lot of tool for the money. Currently I'm not going to stick my neck out because of support and have tooling for this already but if your on a budget you won't get better value currently check the flash forum to see what others are doing or having issues with. I'm being lengthy with this because it took alot of time to sort it out myself,best wishes

•   Level 2   
    (24) points
    Hayzuse
    2015-04-04 22:24:38 (Reply to:tech54)
      Ok I was just a little confused since it cost more to keep the 908 up to date I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything else besides the programing I think I will be going with the mini. You said something about waiting till the next one comes out do you happen to know when it will be coming out or just hoping they come out with a new one?

•   Level 10   
    (7578) points
    witsend

2015-04-05 10:22:06 (Reply to:Hayzuse)

Correct me if I'm wrong here,  but I think the J2534 programmer only does what's available to download 2nd party through Autel's web site and it has to go through the Android based MS908P itself . Once the 1 year update period expires you can no longer download available programming files and do programming with the J2534.You have to keep update subscription current. I don't think the OE's list the Maxi Flash Pro as a supported aftermarket j2534 programmer yet because you are expected to purchase a 24 hour subscription to access the Programming files that are download to a Windows based Laptop, not an Android Based Tablet (and then possibly copied to a second party data base ,LOL).
       I think the 905 is the better bang for the buck so far. $700 to update is still cheaper than $900 to update($200 less) sacrificing a bigger screen and HDMI port, and $700 to update is way cheaper than $1200 or $1300 ($500- $600 less )forgoing the big screen and j2534 to be able to have a years access to the programming file data base they have put together , but  hit or miss finding what you need. Still worthwhile for a busy shop to have a Maxi Sys Pro to spin a Roulette wheel on for 15 minutes for a programming task  before  whipping out a Windows lap top PC, purchasing a 24 hour OE subscription , and using the CarDaq or Drew Tech device .

•   Level 6   
    (489) points
    tech54

2015-04-06 20:51:58 (Reply to:Hayzuse)

Witsend is correct about manufacturers websites currently not supporting droid operating system but I've seen some posts where users used a windows based PC with OEM software and Autel's maxi-flash even though it's not validated it seems sometimes works as a generic J-box that way. The new product is listed under the products tab but haven't seen for sale yet. Hardware specifications are given though and besides better resolution they changed operating system version from what currently is on the 905 and 908. Like I said I'm waiting till out and feedback is given. Updates are significantly more costly on the 908P but I guess you'd have to decide especially if you service European cars the Autel based programming might be worth the cost. Mercedes is cost prohibitive but BMW,Jaguar,Land Rover aren't if you just use any other validated J-Box with OEM software. I guess price and do you just need a scan tool or your constantly calling in mobile techs for programming are factors also to consider.

•   Level 8   
    (2012) points
    Pedro

2015-04-13 03:11:27 (Reply to:Hayzuse)

If you have bought directly from a US dealer, I can sure you that is US version.

There are three equipment of Autel to the top of diagnostic:

905 mini - http://www.auteltech.com/autelcms/Automotive%20Diagnostic%20&%20Analys/516.jhtml

908 - http://www.auteltech.com/autelcms/Automotive%20Diagnostic%20&%20Analys/458.jhtml

908 Pro - http://www.auteltech.com/Automotive%20Diagnostic%20&%20Analys/514.jhtml

The difference between 905 and 908 is only the tablet and in some countries it came with or without the old adapters.

The difference between 908 and 908 Pro is the VCI. With this VCI you could do coding & programming in BMW series F and connect to the OEM websites in order to coding & programming, if there ins't already available in your equipment.

I have already try to connect Autel Maxiflash Pro to OEM websites and it works very, very good. There is some brands that even provide software configuration to the VCI. 

If you need more info please be free to contact me.

My choice is 908 PRO
  Total1 Pages